MBC1887 T:ANE

Golden, at the junction of the Kicking Horse and Columbia Rivers, was used by Major A. B. Rogers as a base camp for his survey crew. The town of Golden was established on the north bank of the Kicking Horse River at the mouth of the box canyon. Subsequently, in an attempt to outdo a camp to the east, which called itself “Silver City”, the name “Golden City” was chosen. The name “City” was later dropped. It did not become a railway town as the railway division point was established at Donald approximately 17 miles (28 km) to the north. Logging and lumber quickly became its main enterprise, which, along with tourism, remains the case today.

Golden looking north down the Columbia River.

Click on image to enlarge/reduce.

Posted:

Updated:

September 13, 2016

September 13, 2016

Golden

The original Queens Hotel at Golden circa 1887.

Source: Wiki Commons.

Click on image to enlarge/reduce.

Queens Hotel 1887.

Click on image to enlarge/reduce.

Sawmill on south side of the river with the box canyon of the Kicking Horse River in the background.

Click on image to enlarge/reduce.